Saturday, January 3, 2009

28th Annual 10k Hangover Classic - Salisbury, Mass


I've done more than a few stupid things in my life but this one might rank up on my top 10 list. On New Year's morning instead of running in the warm indoor Hampshire Dome we trekked down to Salisbury Mass. to run in the 28th Annual 10k Hangover Classic. We usually run the more staid race in Temple, New Hampshire (the Peanut Butter Chip 5k) but this year with Boston just a few months off we sought a longer race in place of our weekly up-tempo speed work. When we left Amherst, N.H. early in the morning the temperature was 8 degrees and upon arriving at Salisbury Beach the temperature had risen to a balmy 10 degrees, accompanied by steady gusts of 20-25 mile winds. WBZ radio kept reminding us as we drove south of the "real feel" temperatures 15-20 below. That prediction ended up being optimisitc. On top of that, the area had been blanketed by close to a foot of new snow on New Year's Eve--all combined to make it a perfect day for a PR! Fortunately I had my trainers fitted with 3/8" metal screws which unfortunately did little good on the unplowed streets of Salsbury Beach. In 36 years of running I have never been so cold. At several points during the race I had to stop and (despite my winter hat) warm both ears with my already frozen hands as well as re-adjust my wardrobe to ward off impending frostbite. The race organizers think ahead for sure and had cold beer along with frozen ice cups for all runners at the 1/2 way mark. All in all it was a fun yet bizarre day. I finished in 44:45 which wasn't bad for me considering the conditions and 20 lbs of clothing. Cathy ran just under 42 minutes and we had a number of Flash runners running the 5k as a training run. Flash coaches Rick Collopy and Tina Pienta also ran the race. Many of the runners (not us) then jumped in the ocean after the race to add to the festivities. I don't have any pictures from this year's snowbound race (yet) but here is a You Tube link of the pre-race conditions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u68u0lw7DN4 I've also posted a picture from last year's 5k start with four of my Flash runners all decked out in their tu-tu's (don't ask me to explain) and ready to run. http://www.coolrunning.com/results/09/ma/Jan1_28THAN_set1.shtml



Newer Post Older Post Home