Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Break from Running--A Day on the Links







On Sunday we headed up to beautiful York Golf & Tennis Club in York, Maine for a Merra family golf outing. I’m not exactly sure how this fits into a running blog other than to note I was more tired at the end of this 18 holes (riding a cart no less) than I was running 20 miles on Friday night. We had three groups and played scramble format (everyone hits and you pick the best shot and then everyone hits from that point onward) with the team consisting of my brother in law Dr. Matt Donovan (who is a member at York and our host), cousin Joe Lupica, his daughter Jackie and my son Chris taking the top spot with a 3 under par 67. My father Sam Merra, and brothers in law Morgan Molloy and Dr. Owen McConville along with Matt’s son William (assisted occasionally by Michael McConville) finished in 1 under 69 with our team of cousin Jean Chani, Dr. Jim Donovan and my son Anthony also finishing in 69. It must be noted that Dr. Jim, 86 years young, carried us much of the day on the greens by dropping three long birdie putts to keep our group’s score respectable.

This was a special day for us after a very difficult winter in our family with the loss of my father’s wonderful brother and my Godfather Frank “Gig” Merra who was not only our golf mentor but life tutor. The Gig was very much on our mind this day along with his daughter Fran who lost her long battle with cancer shortly before Gig’s passing, at the young age 46. They are shown together in the top picture above.

Newer Post Older Post Home