Friday, March 13, 2009

The End is in Sight

We are now in the midst of our heaviest weekly mileage loads. The brutally cold weather in New Hampshire is starting to lift and last Saturday I was able to actually run in shorts for the first time since late last year. Last week I also ran 80 miles for the first time in my life, this week if the long run (23) goes according to plan, it will be 83. People ask, why are you running so many miles? My response is always the same: if I was truly talented I could get away with less. Due to schedule conflicts Cathy ran the exact same course for her long run on Sunday as I did Saturday, and was 12 minutes faster. Last Tuesday we also did a solid speed workout (1m, 2000 meters, 1m,1m, 1m, 1m) in the Hampshire Dome with fellow Gate City Striders (Karen Long, Karen Pattelena, Trevor Ward, and Brian Kane) at about 6:45 pace with 2:30 rest in between. So far, my legs including my arthroscopically modified knees have held up pretty well but I’ve developed persistent bi-lateral pain in my adductors that I can feel nearly every step. The pain, which runs from my pelvis (on both sides) down into the inside of my quads is not too severe (yet) and I’ve found several sets of stretching exercises online that seem to help a little. The above chart is my weekly mileage since January 1. We have just two long training runs left (excluding the Eastern States 20 miler on March 29) and they can't be over soon enough.

Newer Post Older Post Home